The Motley Fool’s mission is “To make the world smarter, happier, and richer.” For 25 years that has meant providing impartial and informed investment recommendations with a healthy dose of personal finance guidance on the side. Ever the insatiable Fools that we are, our coverage continues to expand as we seek to empower everyone with the knowledge, tools, and confidence to attain financial freedom.
We launched The Ascent, a Motley Fool brand, in 2018 to rate and review critical financial products like credit cards, savings accounts, and loans, as well as to provide jargon-free advice on topics ranging from how to get out of debt to choosing the best credit card for your lifestyle. There’s some good (and a lot of bad) money advice out there, and we’re cutting through the noise that often leaves people feeling helpless and insecure about these key financial decisions.
So now that you know who we are at The Ascent, let’s talk about you.
The Ascent team is looking for an expert mortgage writer with a passion for giving consumers the knowledge they need to make the best decisions when choosing a lender and buying a home. You are well-versed in the topics of mortgages and related financial subjects, and you showcase your expertise in an interesting and relatable way that compels our readers to take action on their finances.
- Write mortgage product reviews and informative, consumer-facing articles on mortgages and related topics such as home buying, credit scores, financial preparedness, the many mortgage types and terms, etc.
- Pitch and write timely articles based on developments in the mortgage and housing markets.
- Regularly update existing content for currency of information (loan terms, rates, etc.) and search engine optimization.
- Use and continually learn about SEO best practices.
- Stay current on trends in the industry and be familiar with key data sources.
- Consistently meet deadlines.
- Be adaptable and open to new formats, topics, workflows, etc.
- Attend monthly meetings with in-house staff to discuss new initiatives and best practices.
- Get us backstage tickets to shows at Red Rocks Amphitheatre.
(We’ll settle for 8 out of 9.)
- 5+ years’ experience writing on mortgages and related topics.
- Expert knowledge of the mortgage and housing markets.
- Previous publishing credits in the area of mortgages and personal finance.
- Knowledge of digital content and SEO best practices.
- High attention to detail.
- Adaptability and responsiveness to feedback.
In your application, please provide at least three writing samples.
A few things to note:
- The Motley Fool’s writers tend to stick with us for years. Many have been here a decade or more.
- In a turbulent industry, our track record of financial stability stands out.
- Experience in writing for organic search is a major plus — but not a requirement.