As an Associate, you will have the opportunity to work closely with the startups in our program, learn a lot, and meet amazing people. You will also attend (virtually) and participate in much of what goes on around the Alexa Next Stage, powered by Techstars program including mentor talks and guest presentations. It’s a great opportunity to learn about running a startup right at the source of where things get done, while adding a ton of value to the operations of great startup companies, the Alexa Fund, and Techstars itself.
Schedule is flexible but a strong commitment is expected. In this program we will be working with startups from 3 continents, there is a 10 hour time difference between the geographies of the companies we’ll be working with. Hours will vary throughout the 8-week program. You should be willing to commit to maintaining a flexible schedule. Associates should be able to jump in and complete any task accurately and effectively. We expect a great attitude, a desire to learn, and lots of energy. You should be scared of no task and be willing to take on any project, large or small.
It’s basically a chance to get amazing experience, broaden your network in ways you could never imagine, get exposure to some of the greatest up and coming companies and teams. Historically, many associates end up being employed by one of the companies or by someone they met during the span of the three months. Many also go on to build their own companies.
General Job Description
You are a data-obsessed spreadsheet ninja. You analyze, model, and interpret critical information to make fact-based decisions. Your communication style allows you to convey your findings succinctly and clearly. You are adept at quickly making sense of large amounts of information and knowing how to find what’s most relevant. You are customer obsessed and comfortable balancing the demands of competing priorities. Documentation of processes and procedures is a by-product of the way you work. Bonus points if your spreadsheets look and operate like they were created by a UX designer. A willingness to learn and comfort tackling new problems is a must. This role is a temporary position. Hours vary 20 – 40 hours per week.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with constant improvement on the quality of data and its documentation
- Convert raw data into actionable business goals
- Provide insights that improve efficiency and identify opportunities for optimization
- Engage with Techstars founders to identify analytics projects that will drive them toward success
- Champion a data-driven culture
- Assist with all aspects of program operations and adhoc projects as needed
- Follow best practices and execute upon outlined content and curriculum of the program
- Represent Techstars in local community, both actively and passively
- Effective quantitative skills, attention to detail, critical thinking, and the ability to support multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interest in the discourse around technology, startups, entrepreneurship, venture capital
- 2+ years of data analysis
- Bachelors Degree in Data Analytics, Finance, IT, or other related discipline
- Proven attention to detail through prior work or life experience
- Comfortable with a variety of responsibilities
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction but high expectations
- Fits the Techstars culture (people-oriented, adaptable, supportive, creative)
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- Dirk Lehmann – Techstars Associate Programme: The Better Startup MBA?
- Kelly McDonald – Learn More Faster
- Duc Luan Dam – Luan, do you ever sleep? (Being an Associate at Techstars part 1)
Techstars is an investment and innovation group that connects entrepreneurs, investors, corporations, and city governments to solve challenges across industries and geographies. We pioneered the accelerator program model in 2006 working toward our vision of a connected global economy of innovation.
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.