The Pulitzer Center is seeking to expand our talented editorial team with an experienced, high-energy, creative Senior Editor. You will recruit and review proposals, select the most promising stories, and help take charge of editorial project management for an award-winning, innovative non-profit news organization recognized as a leader in independent funding of ambitious global reporting.
In 2006, the Pulitzer Center opened its doors with a donated desk, modest seed funding, and high ambitions: to fill in the gaps in under-funded global reporting and inspire a new generation of journalists to cover the big global issues that affect us all.
Since then, we’ve built an amazing staff and expanded our funding and mission to support more than 170 reporting projects a year on pressing global issues, sparking high-impact stories in more than 600 news outlets annually. We’ve expanded our mission to support in-depth, change-making stories at local news outlets struggling to do public service journalism as news industry revenue shrinks. We’re behind some of the highest-impact reporting of the last decade on conflict and peace-building, environment and climate change, migration and human trafficking, emerging science and health issues, criminal justice and much more. Our projects have won the Pulitzer Prize, George Polk Awards, Peabodys, Emmys, National Magazine Awards and more.
We’ve built a network of more than 1,300 professional journalists and hundreds of college students to do global and domestic reporting. We’ve forged strong partnerships with leading national and international media, including The New York Times Magazine, Le Monde, PBS NewsHour, and The New Yorker, as well as local, regional, and specialty media outlets in all continents. Our unique education and outreach program brings our projects and journalists into more than 500 classrooms and public forums annually.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for raising awareness of critical global issues through journalism and education—and who has the energy and experience to help us achieve our goals. You will have the opportunity to work with some of the world’s most talented journalists and educators, and a deeply committed, hardworking, and high-spirited Pulitzer team, with plenty of opportunities to influence strategy and demonstrate leadership.
We believe public-interest journalism is a public good. We invite you to help us identify and support reporting that advances a deeper understanding of our world—informing the public, policymakers, and the next generation on defining challenges of our time.
For more information about the Pulitzer Center, visit pulitzercenter.org
- Recruiting and reviewing applications from journalists to identify the most promising projects to support; formalizing terms and conditions of grants to journalists.
- Managing a roster of 170 reporting projects a year — from the assignment stage to completion, promotion, and educational outreach.
- Expanding the diversity of Pulitzer journalist-grantees by cultivating contacts with a wide range of reporters and editors and seeking new talent and outlets to expand the audiences our projects reach. Representing Pulitzer at select journalism conferences.
- Negotiating with journalist-grantees and editors at news outlets to assure successful placement of reporting projects that will reach mass audiences. Working with journalist-grantees to assure timely and successful completion of projects.
- Contributing to our efforts to build strong networks and communities among our grantees, media and education partners.
- Participating in select events that bring our journalists and their work to our network of schools, community colleges, HBCUs, universities, and our two annual conferences.
Education Background, Skills and Work Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- At least 10 years of professional journalism experience that includes a substantial international component.
- Experience and contacts at traditional and new media platforms.
- A passion for global issues and a commitment to the Pulitzer Center’s mission.
- A high level of integrity and a strong work ethic.
- Strong news judgement and project management skills, and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities without compromising quality.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, and the ability to work effectively and sensitively across borders and cultures.
- The ability to motivate and work effectively with freelance journalists and editors of external publications, as well as exemplary communication, writing, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to think of strategic and proactive solutions to challenges and opportunities.
- The ability to work independently and to have an open and collaborative management style, characteristic of a team player.
- Creativity and analytical skills.
- Language skills are a big plus.
- Collegial disposition and sense of humor.
The Pulitzer Center is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to forward diversity through its programs and hiring.
Please note that due to the COVID-19 crisis, the Pulitzer Center is currently working remotely. Candidates should have stable high-speed internet access and a laptop or desktop computer with a webcam and microphone. We anticipate returning to the office at least part of the work week once Washington, D.C. safely reopens.
Compensation for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition, the Pulitzer Center offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Applications should include a detailed CV, names and contact info for three references, three samples or your work, and a written statement of interest (no more than 500 words). Your written statement should link your passions and experience to this opportunity and how you think that experience can help advance the Pulitzer Center’s mission.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis, giving an advantage to early applicants. Last day to apply is June 21.
Job Title: Senior Editor
Status: Full Time
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Negotiable based on strength of candidate