Who we are:
Pixel Union and Out of the Sandbox are leading designers of premium themes and apps for the Shopify ecommerce platform. We’re focused on helping our merchants — entrepreneurs, innovators, brands, and businesses large and small — succeed by providing them with the world’s best digital products, backed by exceptional customer support.
As an Agency, we create digital experiences that delight your customers, deliver meaningful results, and champion your brand. Since 2009, we’ve designed, branded, and built hundreds of successful ecommerce businesses.
We are a team of 85+ across all departments, with headquarters in Victoria, BC, and remote team members distributed across Canada and beyond.
About the role:
Pixel Union is looking for an experienced front-end developer to join our Agency team. Agency Developers bring our custom projects to life, working closely with the design team to produce best-in-class digital experiences. We’re looking for someone who has an eye for the little details that can make or break a stand out UX. Developers play an active role in projects, both internal and client-facing and help shape our coding standards and best practices so that we can continue to deliver the best quality code to our clients.
Success in the role requires a high degree of flexibility and adaptability, a passion for both the practice and the principles of development, a deep knowledge of front-end development technologies, and a desire to work closely with designers and back end developers on the team to ensure every project lives up to Pixel Union’s reputation for industry-leading quality.
All code at Pixel Union is peer-reviewed, and we look for developers who are able to clearly explain their technical choices. We encourage consistent and readable code, with a focus on maintainability.
As a Pixel Union dev, you’ll…
- Develop front-end code for Pixel Union’s custom Shopify projects, based on the design requirements and project brief
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Organize and manage personal tasks on assigned projects
- Integrate and collaborate with back-end developers as project complexity dictates
- Ability and interest in learning new technologies and techniques
- Happy to align with shared coding standards, and eager to help shape future best practices
- Constantly seeking new ways to improve the development process, and able to share new knowledge with the team
- Comfortable collaborating with a design team and providing input on proposed features
- Interface with external development groups and 3rd party platforms, as needed
- Contribute to internal projects and planning discussions
- Develop reusable code and libraries for future use
- Develop documentation for code standards, and workflows
- Nurture our junior development team members with coaching, support and insight
You’ll use your skills and experience in…
- 2 years of hands-on developing Shopify projects (custom themes, apps)
- Version control (Git)
- Written and verbal communication and ability to accurately estimate tasks, and not afraid to flag issues early
- Strong problem-solving abilities and self-management
- Attention to detail when replicating design while maintaining development best practices
- Recognizing development patterns in order to write more efficient/functional code
- Managing multiple projects with strict deadlines
- Familiarity with design tools such as Figma and InVision
- Demonstrated commitment to personal and professional growth
- Sharing your passion about technology
If you have these skills that’s a huge plus!
- Desire to learn the Liquid (Shopify) templating language and master the Shopify & Shopify Plus platform
- Experience with BigCommerce, WordPress, Netlify, Gatsby, and React
Please include a cover letter with your application – we’d love to better understand your background and experiences. We value diverse perspectives and believe that skills are transferable!
We are a company built on creativity, teamwork and employee well-being. We work hard, push our limits, and enjoy ourselves around fun, good people on challenging and rewarding tasks.
Some of our perks include:
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity for growth as the company grows
- Exposure and learning across teams and services
- Health benefits and RRSP matching
- Company-sponsored fitness allowance
- Generous vacation policy
- Flexible work schedule and remote-friendly culture and systems
We bring passion and energy to our work, and believe that work should be rewarding, interesting, and come at a sustainable pace. We welcome team members to join us remotely, or in our Victoria HQ. Our remote team can be found across Canada, the U.S. and the UK, and are well-adapted to working from home and the remote lifestyle. As long as you have a strong internet connection, you’ll be all set to join this dynamic team!
Please note that due to the nature of client facing work in an Agency setting, we will be filling this position within North America. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply for this job