Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum’s financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum’s three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This entry level position is the first point of contact for Starmount customers and is the first role in a three-level career path. The role provides customer service, primarily by phone, to our customers when they need us.
The incumbent in this role must demonstrate a willingness to provide strong customer service – providing accurate information to customers, expressing appropriate empathy, and resolving customer issues where appropriate. While service is focused on our external customers, this position is responsible for creating detailed/appropriate documentation for our internal cross-functional business partners. All work is carefully performed according to established protocols/procedures. This position requires the use of multiple system applications and administrative processes.
The incumbent is responsible for successfully completing the Contact Center training program and demonstrating basic proficiency in servicing inbound phone calls after training.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to customer inquiries with timely and accurate information.
- Follow all documented processes/workflow to enhance customer service and reduce customer effort/operating efficiency.
- Utilize resources and tools to accurately respond to customer inquiries.
- Ensure privacy of our customers remains the utmost importance.
- Meet the expectations of the quality/productivity standards.
- Demonstrate a passion for the values outlined in the We are Unum value statements.
- Successful completion of Contact Center training program, including demonstrating on phone proficiency and passing required knowledge checks.
- Ability to work a regular assigned shift between the hours of 7am-7pm Central, Monday through Friday and/or 9am-3pm Central, Saturday (no shifts end after 7pm on weekdays or 3pm on weekends).
- Attendance in accordance with Contact Center attendance guidelines.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior relevant experience, military service and/or college degree preferred
- Demonstrated customer service experience and/or experience in a customer service-oriented environment.
- Strong customer service orientation with demonstrated commitment to meet/exceed customer needs.
- Strong verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, structured environment, handling large call volumes.
- Computer proficiency essential.
- Self-directed with the ability to perform both as part of team and individually.
- Ability to adapt and work effectively in a continuously changing environment.
- Consistently demonstrate a high level of professionalism through a strong work ethic that positively influences the work habits of the team.
- Detail oriented with a focus on quality and consistently meeting goals.
- Ability to maintain reliable and predictable attendance.
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.