Content Marketing – Associate Editor
HomeLight is looking for a motivated, creative, and conscientious Associate Editor to join our growing Content Team.
The Associate Editor will work under the guidance and direction of the Managing Editor to scale production of our fast-expanding online Buyer Resource Center, where we publish hundreds of in-depth articles for tackling every step of the home purchase process.
This is a remote opportunity — candidates can be based across the U.S.
Who We Are
HomeLight is a venture-backed technology startup revolutionizing the $1 trillion real estate industry. Our mission is simple – we empower people to make smarter decisions during one of life’s most important moments: buying or selling their home.
HomeLight’s technology analyzes millions of home transactions to determine which agent or cash buyer is right for you. We also offer innovative financing and closing solutions, creating an end-to-end real estate experience that’s simple, certain, and satisfying.
We pride ourselves on our company culture – but don’t just take it from us. We’ve been recognized as a best place to work by Forbes, Inc. Magazine, and the San Francisco Business Times. Our team breaks barriers every day while staying committed to HomeLight’s goals and core values, which is a crucial element to our shared success.
Who You Are
You’re a hard-nosed proofreader, grammar aficionado, and experienced writer with solid editing experience to boot. You’re great at coming up with fresh and unique angles on well-trodden topics with a passion for providing real value to readers above all else. Whether you were a journalist or brand editor in a past life — you know how to produce amazing content at scale.
You’ve got a strong network and are ready to make it stronger with targeted talent scouting of the sprawling freelance writing space. You can take a messy draft and organize it into a logical sequence like a jigsaw puzzle. You’re comfortable providing candid feedback to writers in a way that brings out their absolute best work.
Your real estate education is significantly deeper and better-informed than the average HGTV binge watcher, and you don’t shy away from topics about savings and finances, mortgage rates, or home affordability. Your portfolio contains writing, reporting, or editing samples on topics like mortgages, solid financial advice, the homebuying or selling process, homeownership, or the housing market.
You balance a keen ability to conceptualize and mold a good idea with incredible attention to detail. You’ll always check a fact twice for accuracy while working with a dedication toward executing on goals.
You love the process of ideation, creation, and publication, and you’re excited to work somewhere you can make a significant impact.
What You’ll Do Here
- Source, vet, build out, and manage a stable of 15-20 freelance contract writers.
- Develop and execute on 30-40 data-driven feature length blog posts per month, from ideation to publication.
- Dole out assignments and track production deadlines.
- Edit and provide detailed feedback on each article and whip posts into publication shape to meet timely production goals.
- Help put together and manage HomeLight’s content calendar.
- Craft and safeguard our brand voice.
- Bring big ideas to the table for unique, out-of-the-box story ideas and content team projects.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet aggressive deadlines under pressure.
- Proven ability to scale a content program and meet ambitious traffic or acquisition goals at a reputable online publication.
- Proficiency in SEO, social media marketing, WordPress, basic HTML.
- Superb written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge and demonstrated expertise in digital media.
- A keen ability for story development. You know how to work a premise and craft a hook.
- Problem-solving and critical thinking abilities with an analytical and process-oriented mind set.
- Tenacious research and interview skills and can teach people things you just learned yourself.
- Unmatched grammar and a hatred for the passive voice.
- Familiarity with the mortgage and real estate spaces highly preferred.