Are you constantly thinking about how IT operations and applications are being delivered inefficiently? Unable to use open source and a Linux workstation by default for daily work? Have you looked at technology stacks and processes and know that there are more effective ways to deploy and manage resources in ways to meet business demands and drive efficiency, agility, and productivity?
If this sums up your belief system, let us share one of our open opportunities with you.
Job Purpose Overview The Senior Cloud Engineer is responsible for interfacing with our customers on a technical level, helping us reshape the way that IT and applications are delivered. Our ideal candidate has a passion for developing more effective ways to deliver infrastructure, application code, and IT resources. You will be developing robust, immutable infrastructure as code solutions in the cloud that help transform and optimize our customer’s business for years to come. You should have the drive to discover and implement the most effective options available for use today, leveraging the cloud and deployed as infrastructure as code. You’ll be working with open source tools, integrating them into modern, cloud-native environments.
Responsibilities During the sales process:
- Our sales team is passionate about only closing on engagements that excite the engineering team. The Senior Cloud Engineer provides valuable insight and assistance to Sales, Cloud Architects, and Consultants to answer subject-specific technical questions and verify assumptions.
During engagement delivery:
- Senior Cloud Engineer is a key team member who will be working with additional Nebulaworks team members to develop and deliver on business outcomes and deliverables following the Nebulaworks engineering and engagement methodology.
- Senior Cloud Engineer is in regular contact with Nebulaworks Cloud Architects and/or Consultants to help address on-going requirements related to software engineering, cloud maturity, and performance of our customers.
- Senior Cloud Engineer is helping build internal Nebulaworks best practices and tool to better support the team on engagements
- Contributing to Nebulaworks Insight posts
- Contributing to Nebulaworks and related Open Source projects
- Locale – 100% Remote, North America
- Customer Facing – You will be interfacing directly with our customers representing Nebulaworks Engineering expertise to help our customers build a high-performing team and develop the rigor and discipline required to build infrastructure and applications that provide long-lived business value. Our customers trust our engineer team with the moral authority to help drive any of our engagements.
- Required Travel – 10% travel to headquarters, customer offices, conferences, and other technology-related events.
Requirements Minimum Qualifications
- Strong team player who can build and effectively collaborate amongst peers
- The ability to thrive in a high-energy, high-growth, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Strong organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Possess strong communication skills – written, verbal, and interpersonal
- Hands-on; completes obligations on-time and is dependable
- Above all, ethical, fair, and of high integrity
- Demonstrated expertise in shell scripting (Bash)
- Demonstrated expertise of at least one (1) other programming languages (Preferably Python or Go)
- Experience with Continuous Integration tools and processes (GitLab CI, Jenkins, Circle, Drone, etc.)
- 3-5 years of hands-on experience in each of the following:
- Delivering immutable infrastructure-as-code solutions using tools like Terraform, Packer, and CloudFormation
- At least one configuration management tool like Ansible, Saltstack, Puppet, or Chef
- Git branching strategies, workflows, and release engineering approaches to software development
- Experience building highly automated infrastructure and cloud-native applications deployed in AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Excellent skills and expertise troubleshooting networking, storage, and support services (i.e. HTTP, DHCP, DNS, NTP, NAT, etc.) of Linux systems
- Demonstrated experience in the setup and management of PKI infrastructure
- Deep understanding of the entire application stack and related services
- Worked on a team leveraging agile development practices, including stand-ups, and the creation/management of sprints, epics, and stories
Nice to Haves
- Working knowledge of Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, and Continuous Deployment approaches and processes
- Experience with functional programming languages like Haskell and Nix
- Experience with containers and container platforms including Kubernetes (EKS, GKE, AKS), docker, Nomad, containerd, LXC/LXD
- Experience across multiple major cloud platforms: GCP, AWS, Azure
- Knowledge of deployment patterns including blue/green, feature flags, and canary
- Kubernetes resource management using tools like Helm and Kustomize
- Experience with microservices architecture and Twelve-Factor applications
- Experience with managing large-scale infrastructure supporting applications and performance tuning, latency tiering, and name service performance
- Multi-cloud integration including private and public cloud architectures
- Experience with HashiCorp Vault and Consul
- Experience with service meshes like Istio, Linkerd and/or HashiCorp Consul Connect