Staff Writer – PC Gamer
- United States
- Full time
About the website
PC Gamer is the global authority in PC games, a market leader with over 20 years of heritage, and offices in the US, UK and Australia. Operating in both print and online, our team is dedicated to bringing its readers around-the-clock informative and entertaining coverage of every aspect of their hobby, including class-leading buying advice for software and hardware.
Where do I fit in?
You would be responsible for writing articles for both PCGamer.com and PC Gamer magazine. From reviews of the latest games to online news stories and magazine features, you’ll write about everything across the spectrum of PC gaming, and have the chance to make your mark on a world-renowned games media outlet.
You will be responsible for meeting all your deadlines and liaising with editors to ensure you produce high-quality coverage. The reader must be at the heart of all your decision making, so you must know your audience and create copy specifically for their needs. You’ll have a passion for your subject area and a good knowledge of core issues, enabling you to assist readers with their problems and make it easy and fun for them to do what they want.
We’ll help you understand the principles of SEO and how to use social media to make your work connect with our readership. You’ll hone your writing and editing skills from working in-office with an experienced editorial team.
Strong communication skills are essential, as you’ll be required to collaborate with the global team, liaise with industry contacts and represent PC Gamer at industry events. You may also be asked to assist with the production of multimedia content, such as podcasts and videos.
- Deliver quality, relevant and well-written copy to deadline
- Understand and deliver on readers’ needs
- Take responsibility for managing your own workload, liaising with editors to produce stories, features, reviews, news and magazine pages as needed. Use our project management system to plan and track your own work
- Be a voice in planning meetings, helping to generate and refine news, guide, SEO, and feature ideas
- Develop and maintain productive industry and PR relationships
- Be responsible for and deliver any administrative tasks set by senior staff
- Attend events when required
- Help work on any of the creative output of the group, including podcast and video
- Update and maintain PC Gamer’s social channels as needed
What do I need to succeed?
- Proven creator of imaginative, high-quality content
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven at detailed, useful analysis
- Proven reliable decision-making
- Problem-solving skills under pressure
- Planning and organisational aptitude
- Excellent time-management
- Team player able to balance responsibilities
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Free food (monthly munchies, bagel Fridays, fresh fruit & snacks and coffee and tea on tap)
- Central office locations with cool open plan working spaces
- Free digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Discounted gym membership and onsite health & wellbeing (yoga at lunch anyone?!)
- Annual Future conference – get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what’s next
- Regular staff socials arranged by our wonderful Employee Community & Culture committees
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues