Software Engineer (Turn On + Monitoring, Full Stack)
You enjoy writing code, but in the back of your mind you’re always wondering: what problem does this solve? Who will be using this software and how will this make their work easier? You are fascinated by how your software is used and how it can be improved. You like to dive into the end users’ workflows to make them as seamless as possible. Because it’s not just about the code, it’s about the results.
You’ve found that having a robust, automated test suite frees the team to take on refactoring efforts with confidence, knowing that the system you’ve built won’t let you deploy broken software even if you try. You believe that collaborating with others makes it so that everyone learns, you build a better product, and you can sleep at night and go on vacation with the assurance that what you’ve constructed is stable.
Through the technology this team develops and runs, we’re making onboarding of security tech unexpectedly simple for customers. We’re also empowering our customer success team to onboard and maintain the fleet of our customers’ security devices, while being fully transparent with our customers with what we’re doing.
If this sounds like you, then we believe you’ll love our team, and we’d love to talk to you!
What Expel Can Do For You
- Give you complicated, real world problems on which to use your skills and experience
- Develop your expertise in current technologies like Kubernetes, Kafka, Postgres, EmberJS and Go
- Increase your exposure to the information security space and security products
- Experience a growing, highly open startup environment
What You Can Do For Expel
- Expand the core security device onboarding infrastructure our customers and analysts rely on 24 x 7
- Make sure our customer support staff have the tools that they need to fix problems with the array of customer security devices when they come up
- Enthusiastically reinforce our belief in good software engineering practice including code reviews and automated testing
- Add your viewpoint to our engineering culture (and especially this small team)
- Adapt to changes of direction because, hey, startup life!
What You Should Bring With You
- A desire and ability to constantly learn and improve yourself and your work products
- The ability to communicate and work effectively with others
- A track record of building maintainable systems in Linux environments
- Proficiency with Go
- Ideally: familiarity with cloud environments
- 3+ years of full-stack development experience
How We Run This Team
We build and run teams where everyone is pulling in the same direction and is learning from each other:
- We work out of a shared backlog
- We peer-review everything
- We pair-program when it makes sense
- We do weekly blame-free retros to reinforce what’s going well, so we do more of it, and surface what’s not, so we can do something about it.
At Expel, our employee benefits reflect our commitment to our crew. Unlimited PTO, equity for everyone, work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and excellent health benefits are some of the ways we care for our Expletives.
Our headquarters is in Herndon, Virginia, however our team is fully remote, and we have full support for remote interaction. We realize that while there is benefit to in-person interaction, good people don’t all live in Northern Virginia.