The Lead Backend Engineer will be primarily responsible for designing, building and maintaining backend services that support our zoning data processing and geospatial analysis systems. This position will be an instrumental player in creating the future technical foundation of the Gridics platform. This position will lead multiple projects and concurrent work streams, while also requiring coordination with geographically distributed Agile teams.
The position requires a highly motivated individual with experience building gigabyte-scale data processing software on AWS (or similar cloud environment). The ideal candidate will have at least some architect experience and be able to contribute to the design of software components and data storage architectures. The ideal candidate is comfortable working with limited direction and is willing to fill gaps and contribute in a variety of areas along the way. Delivering improvements to our software in consistent increments, while forging a path towards the greater technical vision, is critical for this role.
- Design, build, and maintain new and existing backend services and data processing pipelines.
- Create code that is understandable and testable.
- Lead engineering efforts with your team and stakeholders.
- Deliver on time and be accountable to your team and stakeholders.
- Have 5+ years of experience writing production code.
- Experience with Node and Express.
- Experience in SQL and schema design (MySQL and/or Postgres).
- Good knowledge of ES6 and Typescript.
- Good understanding of REST.
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling.
- Good understanding of engineering best practices.
- Experience with Git.
- AWS experience (particularly CodePipeline, ECS, SQS, S3 and RDS).
- Working knowledge of Linux and basic command line experience.
- Docker experience.
- Knowledge of Sequelize (ORM).
- Knowledge of GIS / geospatial analysis.
- Have a penchant for testing, automation and reliability.
- Competitive salary
- Medical and dental insurance coverage
- Flexible paid time off (vacation, sick & public holidays)
- Flexibility to work remotely (anywhere in the US)