I’m looking for an Engineering Manager to join our growing Engineering Management team. As an Engineering Manager for Customer.io, you will work with Leadership and your peers to shape the engineering culture and process as Customer.io grows from 20 engineers to 30, 40, and beyond.
We have an experienced group of engineers, strong technical leads, a proven architecture, and a track record of delivering major improvements with stability.
While your influence is important across the entire engineering organization, your most important responsibilities will be to build structure around people management, career guidance, working structures in our squads, and overall project management.
As an Engineering Manager at Customer.io, you will…
- Help define the structure and organization of the engineering department.
- Mentor, nurture, and grow cross-functional teams of engineers.
- Champion our culture. We strive to be inclusive, cooperative, and empathetic.
- Recruit and hire new team members, with an emphasis on increasing our diversity.
- Improve our processes, and identify gaps in how we work.
- Work directly within your squads to create accountability for delivery timelines, promote healthy work culture, and ensure quality in new product features.
- Be an advocate for our vision of a great product team: Product Management defines problems and outcomes, while Engineering & Design define the solutions.
We’re looking for someone who is…
- Experienced as an engineering manager in the SaaS industry.
- Ideally you’ve had an opportunity to manage your reports remotely, but this is not a requirement.
- Genuinely excited about managing and developing people. While you started as an engineer, you’ve committed to management as your career path.
- Has a strong technical foundation in database technologies, distributed systems, and scaling solutions.
- Product-minded and has a proven track record of developing product-minded engineers.
- Located in UTC -4 to -7 or willing to work during common North/South America hours.
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 2,300 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, and push notifications. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $126k – $150k USD depending on experience and subject to market rate.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- 20 days PTO – we offer 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 12 weeks paid parental leave – for birth, adoption, or foster care
- Health and wellness allowance – Up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend – Up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement – Up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement – Up to $300 USD per month for those times you’d prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Professional development allowance – Up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, or workshops – anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io – to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- Company retreats twice a year – we typically get together IRL every spring and fall, but most recently had an amazing virtual retreat!
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! – as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete an employment and education verification authorization form (which allows us to verify your job history and education listed on your resume) as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below and tell us why you’re interested in the position! In your cover letter, be sure to tell us the title of the last book you read. There is no advantage to applying early so put your best foot forward. We will respond to all applicants by February 1 with a status update about your application.
Here’s what you can expect from our hiring process (order is subject to change):
- 30 minute video call with our Recruiter & Onboarding Specialist
- 45 minute video call with Kitt, our Engineering Manager.
- 45 minute video call with two potential teammates (PM and/or Eng).
- Project scenario call with PM & Engineer
- Interview with Matthew, our CTO