Cubby Managing Editor (Contract)
- (Multiple states)
- Mid Level
AT Media is seeking an editor to manage a new weekly newsletter for parents who want advice and inspiration in making their homes more happy, healthy, and well-organized for life together with kids. The ideal candidate will be a strong writer and editor with a keen eye for design and advice. They should have direct experience in family and lifestyle editorial, with experience in pitching, developing, and packaging high-quality service journalism. They should be highly organized and detail-oriented, with strong writing skills that exhibit curiosity, empathy, and a sense of what makes life at home with children engaging and enjoyable.
This contract runs until June 2021, with a possibility of extension depending on the performance of the newsletter and brand.
AT Media serves a national and international audience, and we are committed to a diversity of perspectives and an egalitarian creative process. We strongly welcome applications of people from backgrounds underrepresented in journalism and media.
This part-time editor will work to produce one original weekly feature story and newsletter per week, supervising both the development of the lead feature and the selection, syndication, and packaging of supplementary content.
- Generate ideas, pitch, and write smart, engaging family, food, and design features that draw on their personal experience and point of view.
- Syndicate and repackage existing content from sister brands Apartment Therapy and Kitchn.
- Select and package shopping picks, in collaboration with the Commerce team.
- Work with a newsletter producer to produce and send weekly newsletter.
- Collaborate with Art and Video Teams as needed.
- Evaluate content based on performance feedback from the Audience Growth team.
- Excellent writer with a strong, distinctive voice and point of view, with a facility for smart, sparkling writing on service topics in design and home.
- Eye for current trends in home design, family, food, and entertainment, especially for a national audience.
- Strong editing and project management skills.
- Highly-developed eye for attractive design and style.
- Experience in research, interviewing, and editing.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities, and to quickly adjust strategy and execution in the face of new information. Highly organized and detail-oriented in writing and editing.
- High degree of facility and speed in content management systems, particularly WordPress.
- Collaborative and communicative.
Compensation and Benefits:
- This is a limited period contract position, paid at a competitive hourly rate. The role is flexible in geographic location and in hours worked.