- Product Development Content
- Online, United States
As a vital member of the content team, the Development Editor collaborates with our talent—trainers, writers, and speakers—to craft learning content that meets our standards. The Development Editor manages the development of all content formats with a focus on addressing the learning and development needs of our audience. Formats for content are limitless but currently include books, online training courses, in person trainings, and reports. The Development Editor works with the editorial and production teams to shape content that delivers on our learning promise.
About the Job
The Development Editor is responsible for managing and editing an expansive workload of books and reports including sponsored projects to ensure we deliver on our learning promise using O’Reilly’s learning model as a guide. Responsibilities include managing peer review, editing text including books, collaborating on and editing articles, blog posts, online training playbooks, and managing schedules. The editor must have the necessary skills to be able to determine when content is ready for peer review, production, and release. Properly executed, this position contributes significant revenue to the organization while maintaining O’Reilly standards. The Development Editor excels at managing budget title months while recommending internal process improvements. The position reports to the Managing Editor.
- Work closely with various internal departments; editorial, product, and production staff; and externally, with talent.
- Demonstrate effective project management of multiple titles/projects and ensure that all projects release on time and within budget.
- Identify problem areas in content and recommend solutions.
- Serve as in-house advocate for talents’ projects.
- Collaborate with editorial team members to create a cohesive learning experience.
- Ensure program requirements are aligned with approved content plan.
- Work with O’Reilly product and marketing teams to review and revise all copy and related marketing materials.
- Select and manage technical, peer, and test customer reviews.
- Create, manage, and adhere to production schedules.
- Participate in industry events, trade shows, ORM conferences where appropriate and at the discretion of the VP of Content Strategy.
- Participate in weekly content and production meetings, providing all necessary assessments of production resources and issues associated with active titles; report on status of active titles.
- Support sales and marketing with detailed content information during the marketing and sales process.
You are a continuous learner, self-starter and problem solver with strong project management and relationship management skills. Familiarity or willingness to learn the subject matter domains for which you develop content. Your skills as someone who can help others organize thoughts and deliver instruction will complement the subject matter experts who develop content with us.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Advanced knowledge of content development processes and functions – editorial, production, design, and copyediting, and how they interface
- Very strong editorial and project management skills
- Very strong written, presentation, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to unravel particularly thorny content problems
- Ability to discern what makes a good learning experience, both in terms of audience and market requirements and the quality of a proposal
- Ability to work on tight deadlines
- Ability to write clearly and accurately on technical subject matter
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, vendors, multimedia developers, project managers, marketing managers, and sales reps
- Ability to maintain high professional standards in interacting with others—inside and outside of the company—at all times
- A strong interest in building learning content and training materials.
- 4-year college degree in education, English, instructional design, communications, publishing, computer science, or other relevant field, or a combination of relevant education and experience.
About O’Reilly Media
O’Reilly’s mission is to change the world by sharing the knowledge of innovators. For over 40 years, we’ve inspired companies and individuals to do new things—and do things better—by providing them with the skills and understanding that’s necessary for success.
At the heart of our business is a unique network of experts and innovators who share their knowledge through us. O’Reilly Learning offers exclusive live training, interactive learning, a certification experience, books, videos, and more, making it easier for our customers to develop the expertise they need to get ahead. And our books have been heralded for decades as the definitive place to learn about the technologies that are shaping the future. Everything we do is to help professionals from a variety of fields learn best practices and discover emerging trends that will shape the future of the tech industry.
Our customers are hungry to build the innovations that propel the world forward. And we help you do just that.