SafetyWing (YC W18) is building a global social safety net, including health and retirement for remote workers worldwide, as a replacement for national welfare systems. If we succeed, we believe this will help ensure freedom and equal opportunity for everyone, and is one of the more important tasks of our time, that no one else is working on.
We’re looking for a Head of Customer Service to ensure that our customers like us so much that they tell their friends. We are a global remote team, headquartered in San Francisco. Currently we’re about 25 people full time, and 30 people part-time. We recently raised our Series A, and we are growing fast.
As Head of Customer Service you will be responsible for hiring, training and managing our customer service team. The team currently consists of 9 people, and will expand quickly as we continue to scale. In addition to being responsible for operations, you will also be a key person to represent the customer in the strategic decisions of the company, and to stake out the path for our customer service in the future.
Today our customer service happens mainly by chat through the platform Intercom. As the company grows and new products are released you will also be involved in or responsible for areas such as claims management and assistance. A good understanding of the insurance industry is important for this role as you will be responsible for much of the day-to-day correspondence with our insurance partners.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Ensure that we provide excellent customer service 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Scale the customer service team and ensure that our team members are joyful and productive.
- Represent the customer in strategic decisions for the company.
- Build customer-service related functions as needed.
- Liaison with our partners and other service providers.
- Help put out any fires that might occur, ideally making sure they don’t occur in the first place.
- You have experience as a leader in customer service or a related field
- You have hiring experience, having scaled a team before
- You have experience from the insurance industry (ideally) or at least experience working in a field with compliance requirements and stakeholder management
- You are an outstanding communicator in written and verbal English
- You excel at both the operational and strategic level
- You excel at dealing with difficult situations with grace and empathy
- You have strong personal integrity